We have answered a lot of common questions bellow, but if there is anything you would like to know more about feel free to ask.

Why use Gateway Survey & Planning?

At Gateway Survey and Planning, we make development simple, by providing the best advice for your personal requirements. Unlike other town planning or surveying consultancies, at GSP we are able to offer you the start to finish (A-Z) service required for the whole process which includes:
- Provide Town Planning / Development advice,
- Apply for and attend prelodgement meetings,
- Undertake Contour detail survey and / or other required surveys,
- Preparation of subdivision proposal plan,
- Review building plans,
- Liaise with specialists (where required) such as engineers, architects, environmentalists etc,
- Prepare and lodge DA’s,
- Negotiate with Council where required,
- Provide advice on required post approval works such as civil works etc.,
- Assist with obtaining fee quotes from required consultants such as civil and electrical engineers,
- Peg new lots and prepare the subdivision survey plan,
- Survey new buildings if required to prepare building format plan, exclusive use diagrams and
service location diagrams,
- Prepare disclosure plans (if required),
- Undertake as-constructed surveys, where required for stormwater, sewer or new site levels etc.,
- Prepare and lodged the plan sealing application with Council. Which is the last step required prior
to registering/creating the new titles.
In addition to the above, we can connect you to vast network of trusted specialists we have developed here at Gateway Survey and Planning.

What does a Surveyor do?

Surveyor are involved in many aspects of development.

Cadastral Surveyors are registered with the Surveyors Board to undertake surveys in relation to title boundaries. Cadastral Surveyors are the experts in relation to the requirements and consequences of reconfiguring title boundaries. Town planning approval is only part of the process. All the State Laws in relation to the boundary reconfiguration also need to be navigated such as the Land Act, Land Title Act, Body Corporate, Community management Act, Survey Mapping Infrastructure Act, etc.

Land Surveyors are important in relation to spatially positioning features and structures on site.

Land Surveyors can assist with the reinstatement of your property boundaries, locating and setting out buildings, contours and detail surveys, building height calculations, lease surveys, civil construction and mining surveys.

To read more about the services we offer please click here.

What is an Identification Survey?

An Identification Survey is more commonly referred to as an Ident.

The most common survey relating to the purchase and financing of properties is an Identification Survey. It may only be undertaken by a Registered Surveyor.

We recommended that you have an Ident survey done when you are purchasing a property. An Ident Survey will ensure that you are buying the property that you have been shown and whether the property has any defects which may devalue it.

A Surveyor will check for the existence of Easements (for drainage, etc.), Covenants and Restrictions on land use, and compliance with the terms of these conditions. A surveyor will also note any encroachments by or upon the land or upon any Easements.

“Buyer beware” applies to all land transactions. An Ident can give you a peace of mind about your investment. Our licensed and registered surveyors will provide you with confidence in the accuracy of your property boundaries, structures and infrastructure.

What is rooming accommodation?

‘Rooming Accommodation’ permits landlords to rent out a dwelling/building to more than one person for example on room by room basis.

"Rooming accommodation means the use of premises for—
(a) residential accommodation, if each resident—
(i) has a right to occupy 1 or more rooms on the premises; and
(ii) does not have a right to occupy the whole of the premises; and
(iii) does not occupy a self-contained unit, as defined under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008, schedule 2, or has only limited facilities available for private use; and
(iv) shares other rooms, facilities, furniture or equipment outside of the resident's room with 1 or more other residents, whether or not the rooms, facilities, furniture or equipment are on the same or different premises; or
(b) a manager's residence, an office or providing food or other service to residents, if the use is ancillary to the use in paragraph (a).
Examples of rooming accommodation – boarding house, hotel, monastery, off-site student accommodation"
Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 says “a self-contained unit means a part of a building, forming a self-contained residence, that is under the exclusive possession of the occupier and includes kitchen, bathroom and toilet facilities”.
In summary the bedrooms cannot be “self contained” i.e. contain a kitchen and bathroom OR they may be provided with “limited facilities”. Each Council has their own interpretation of “limited facilities” as always obtain advice from a planner and / or Council on what is permitted within the bedrooms.

What does a Town Planner do?

The role of a town planner within the context of a private consultant is to understand Council legislation and regulations in order to ensure the best chance of success for your development proposal in the most time and cost efficient manner. Gateway Survey and Planning have experience ranging from minor proposals such as 1 into 2 subdivisions and small carport and deck extensions to large subdivisions, housing developments and commercial uses. A town planner can act as a representative and liaise with Council throughout the development process to achieve a desirable outcome for all parties in a cost and time effective manner. Town planners can also attend pre-lodgement meetings with Council on your behalf.
At Gateway Survey and Planning, we encourage you to contact our planning team for free town planning advice received within one business day and to assess the development potential of sites currently owned by you, or sites you are looking to potentially purchase.
Without consulting a town planner, the risk of refusal or costly delay for a development application is increased exponentially. With town planning issues becoming increasingly more complex with the continuous change of legislation surrounding your Local Council area, town planners provide peace of mind, explaining the development application process to you and liaising with Council to get a desired outcome as quick as possible on your behalf. With our planning team comprising of members recently employed within Brisbane City Council, we have a direct line to familiar, senior Council staff which allows us to receive the quickest, most accurate answers.

What is Risksmart?

Risksmart has been implemented by some Councils to fast-track low risk development applications. Only a couple of Councils still require consultants to be accredited to lodge through the fast track / RiskSmart process. Whereas other Councils in the great South East have either abandoned the RiskSmart process completely or no longer require a person/company to be accredited to lodge through the fast track process. There are stringent requirements that the application needs to comply with.
Generally, any developments that do not comply 100% with the acceptable outcomes of the relevant codes OR have engineering issues cannot be lodged through RiskSmart.
We are currently accredited RiskSmart consultants with the Logan and Brisbane City Councils.

Can I rent out my granny flat?

All Councils have different Local Plans and Policies and you need to seek advice from the relevant authority.

We understand that Logan and Ipswich do not mind if houses and secondary units (if any) are rented out to more than one party or room by room, as such it appears that renting out granny flats is acceptable in these local areas. Other Council’s such as Brisbane City Council have a firm belief that you cannot as they would like to see nana and papa or other family members residing in the granny flat.

The dwelling house code and the dwelling house (small lot) code under City Plan 2014 both specify that a dwelling and secondary dwelling (if any) is to be occupied by one household. Council believes that a house leased by several people under separate lease agreements is considered “several” households and is therefore non-compliant with the intent of a dwelling house.

Under City Plan 2014 however, Council has introduced a new use referred to as “rooming accommodation” which is defined as follows:

“Premised used for the accommodation of one or more households where each resident:
• has a right to occupy one or more rooms,
• does not have a right to occupy the whole of the premises in which the rooms are situated;
• may be provided with separate facilities for private use;
• may share communal facilities or communal space, with one or more of the other residents.

It may include:
• rooms not in the same building on site; or
• provision of a food or other service; or
• on-site management or staff and associated accommodation.”

Examples of “rooming accommodation” include boarding house, monastery, hostel, off-site accommodation. It does not include hospice, community residence, dwelling house, short-term accommodation or multiple dwelling.

Rooming accommodation may be self-assessable where:
• In the appropriate zone,
• Accommodating 5 persons or less;
• Complying with all the self-assessable acceptable outcomes of the rooming accommodation code in the Brisbane City Plan 2014.

A maximum of 5 persons is supported in the low-density and character residential zones and the buildings are to have the appearance of a dwelling house.

More than 5 persons is supported in the other residential zones and some non-residential zones however will require Council approval. The development will need to show compliance with the provisions of the rooming accommodation code of the Brisbane City Plan 2014.

So it appears that Brisbane Council now supports renting a granny flat out separately under rooming accommodation.

If you would like to rent out to a maximum of 5 persons and feel that you can comply with the rooming accommodation code we recommend contacting a building certifier to obtain the necessary certificates. Otherwise you may give us a call to discuss further.

How does Gateway Survey & Planning differ from other consultancies?

At GSP we ensure that you are accompanied throughout the whole process until you receive the approval to carry out your development all the way through to obtaining plan sealing so new titles can be created.

We aim to create a smooth, efficient and easy to understand process so that you are kept in the loop throughout the whole journey. If you need specialist advice that we cannot provide, we can refer experienced consultancies from our network developed throughout our lifespan as a company.

We believe that no application is complete until you can sell or develop in your desired manner.

What we’ve been told

We can help you bridge the gap between plan and project

Get in touch to talk to an expert in land surveying and town planning, with superior knowledge of Brisbane and South-East Queensland.